I am always losing my pen or pencil, so I have designed this fabric bookmark that is both cute and practical. It holds your place and your pen!!! Use a coordinating fabric to your covered journal and it will “POP”.
1. Cut three strips of fabric & fusable interfacing. (two pieces 11X4 and one piece 7X4)
Cut one piece of elastic measuring 11 inches
2. Iron the fusable interfacing to the wrong side of all three pieces.
3. Iron the top side of the pocket 1/4 inch down and then another 1/2 inch. The pocket is the shortest piece measuring 7X4.
4. Top stitch on the edge of the ironed fold to secure the top of the pocket seam.
5. Pin and baste the pocket to the top of piece of fabric with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
6. Sew the elastic strap to the top and bottom of the front piece using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Be sure to backstitch. If there is a right side of the elastic, have that facing the right side of the fabric.
7. Pin the right sides together and sew around the outer edge, leaving a hole in the upper right side, just above the pocket, to turn the project right side out. Be sure to backstitch at the opening. Use a 5/8 inch seam allowance.
8. Clip corners to eliminate bulk.
9. Turn right side out being sure to push out all of the corners.
10. Iron and topstitch close to the edge, between 1/4 and 1/8 seam allowance. Be sure to move the elastic out of the way when turning corners.
The finished product: